- Add on tab
- Pin it
Yarrow Intergenerational Society for Justice hasn't added a story.
For Yarrow, Heart to Heart is about emphasizing our power and love for one another as a community. As a community, our members work in solidarity to uplift one another, provide mutual aid and support, and create new visions for the future of an equitable Chinatown.
Since 2015, Yarrow Intergenerational Society for Justice 世代同行會 has been working with Chinese-speaking seniors to ensure equitable access to medical support, housing, income, food security, and government services. Founded by Chanel Ly in 2015 , Yarrow Society has now grown into an organization of six staff, providing services for hundreds of Chinese seniors in the Downtown Eastside.
Our community needs you. For our Heart to Heart campaign, engage
in a labour of love, extending gratitude from your hearts to nourish
the heart of our community. We remain committed to the strength and
longevity of our community, while prioritizing the safety and
well-being of our members. This year, Yarrow is raising $88,000 to
organize, reduce isolation for seniors, and ensure access to health
care during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond. While the Canadian
government continues to move on from the pandemic, we must not
forget that seniors, many of whom are disabled and/or live in shared
housing, remain at higher risk from COVID-19. Your support is
critical to ensuring our ongoing work and vision of an equitable and
Why contribute to Yarrow?
- We provide one-on-one support for seniors who face language and cultural barriers to accessing government services to meet their housing, health, and income needs;
- We are delivering culturally appropriate groceries to over 40 seniors and at-risk community members a week in the Chinatown and Strathcona community;
- We provide free culturally safe case management services in Chinese in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. We are one of the only two organizations offering this service even though Chinatown and Strathcona have 32% and 45% of people speaking Chinese as their main language at home; and
help seniors access basic healthcare
by providing medical accompaniment and interpretation
support at their hospital and specialist appointments.
Your contributions, whatever their amount, will help directly fund Yarrow’s programs:
- $10 will buy a bag of basic groceries that we deliver to seniors at home
- $15 will give a senior a ride to their medical appointment with our medical accompaniment volunteers
- $30 will support our medical accompaniment program and reimburse guests or volunteers
- $50 will support a senior applying for social housing
- $100 will ensure a senior can attend a doctor’s appointment with proper interpretation support
- $200 will fund a youth-led intergenerational event
- $500 sponsors 1 year of weekly basic grocery deliveries to a senior
- $1000 sponsors 1 year of weekly large grocery deliveries to a senior
For transparency, this is our current breakdown of the budget by program:
- Outreach program (including medical accompaniment and casework): 27%
- Grocery program: 21%
- Volunteer training, programming and support: 17%
- Seniors Hub program: 13%
- Disability justice and access program: 11%
- Administrative (including rent): 11%
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, Yarrow has provided direct support for socially isolated seniors in the Downtown Eastside who need access to food and basic services. In partnership with S.U.C.C.E.S.S, Yarrow began providing fresh, culturally appropriate groceries to elders in the Chinatown, DTES, and Strathcona neighbourhoods, built and maintained relationships with 130+ elders through phone call check-ins, and distributed 100+ handmade reusable masks donated by community members.
In 2022-2023, our priorities are to:
- Continue supporting seniors one-on-one through casework and medical accompaniment services;
- Reorganize our grocery delivery program, ensuring that it is sustainable and continues to benefit community members and provide them with safe and culturally appropriate grocery deliveries as COVID restrictions are eased;
- Grow and deepen our network of youth volunteers to build our intergenerational community;
- Continue the Language Access to Healthcare Campaign;
- Develop leadership among seniors and youth to advocate for language justice in the healthcare system; and
- Emerge and learn from the pandemic in a safe, equitable, and just way.
To keep Yarrow accountable to its mission to serve Chinatown and its low-income senior residents and to support the programs we outlined above, Yarrow needs the support of our loving community members. Funder priorities and community needs do not always align with the core services and programs that our community needs. Funding for non-profits is always precarious; at the time that we are launching our fundraiser, we have unfortunately been unable to secure a large chunk of funding that we have usually relied on. As such, Yarrow is at risk of losing staff and therefore losing services and abandoning clients. We are in urgent need of fundraising. For this reason, from our hearts to yours, we humbly ask for your support and solidarity.
If you are interested in getting involved in our Language Access to Healthcare Campaign, please reach out to email@example.com. For getting involved in our grocery store delivery program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yarrow’s ultimate vision is to support a thriving, equitable,
and intergenerational community in Chinatown. Our community’s
service needs are a result of systemic inequalities that have
created barriers to vital services and community connections. We
recognize therefore that providing interpretation and other services
is not the answer to our community’s challenges; long-term
inequities require long-term solutions. For this, Yarrow will need
your continued support as we continue to provide support services
and work towards social change to remove these access barriers.
HighlightsSee all activity350
Delete media item?
Delete this item from the media gallery? It will also be deleted from any related story update.
Set as ?
The campaign video will appear in social media and email.
The campaign cover picture will appear in social media and email.
The will appear at the top of your campaign page and in social media and email.
It will be removed from the top of your campaign and won't be used as default in social media and email. The will remain in the media gallery.
Add to a Facebook Page tab
You can add to a tab on any Facebook Page which you manage.
Please note that as of Nov 2017, only Pages with 2,000+ fans are able to install custom tabs.
How to remove a Page tab It looks like you don't have a Facebook Page yet. How to create a Facebook Page It looks like you don't have a Facebook account linked. Click here to edit your account settings
Share a link
Delete this story update?
Any pictures or videos will remain in the campaign's media gallery.
Thank you. We take reports like yours very seriously. Our goal is to keep the community safe.
Please know that we may contact you for more information, but that we won't notify you personally of our decision. If the campaign remains available within a few days, it's likely that we determined it not to be in violation of our policies.
Thank you. We've already received your previous report. If the campaign remains available within a few days, it's likely that we determined it not to be in violation of our policies.
Tell us about the problem. Please fill in both fields below.
Record a video
Upload a video
Nothing grabs attention for your cause like a personal video. Take a minute or two to record one now. Record a short video message of support. Or upload one from your device. You can preview or redo your video before you post it.
Nothing grabs attention for your cause like a personal video. Upload a short video message of support. Upload a short video message of support. Or record one right now.
- Most effective video length: about a minute.
- Maximum length: 5 min.
- You can preview or redo your video before you post it.
Heads up! The existing video will be replaced.
Email your friends
Join our team
Tell people why our cause matters to you. Your personal message will encourage others to help. Easy, effective, optional.
Say it in video
Short personal videos by supporters like you are incredibly powerful. Record one right now and you'll help us raise more money. Easy, optional, effective.
Add a personal goal
Set a personal fundraising goal. You'll encourage more contributions if you do. And rest easy. There's no obligation to achieve your goal or bad consequences if you don't. Easy, optional, effective.
We have a video!
We'd love to show you our campaign video. Want to take a look?
, you're already on the team.