- Add on tab
- Pin it
Yarrow Intergenerational Society for Justice hasn't added a story.
Ms. Leung is a Cantonese-speaking senior who lives in Chinatown. Since overcoming kidney cancer, she returns to the hospital for exams every few months. Our outreach worker accompanies Ms. Leung to every visit to ensure that she has the language and emotional support she needs. We have been supporting seniors like Ms. Leung since 2015!
Light is a resource that nourishes us. We gather around light to build community and deepen our connections. This year, Yarrow Intergenerational Society for Justice 世代同行會 is raising $50,000 to organize and shine light on the critical importance of language access to the healthcare system. Will you donate today? Every dollar will help.
Why contribute to Yarrow?
- We opened our intergenerational drop-in space for community members in 2018. In the last year, seniors came in 238 times for services;
- We provide one-on-one support for seniors who face language and cultural barriers to accessing government services to meet their housing, health, and income needs;
- We are currently one of two organizations in the Downtown Eastside that provides free culturally competent case management services in Chinese, even though there is such a great community need;
- We provide medical accompaniment for seniors who need navigation and interpretation support at their hospital and specialist appointments.
In 2020-2021, our priorities are to:
- Continue supporting seniors one-on-one through casework and medical accompaniment services;
- Grow and deepen our network of youth volunteers to build our intergenerational community;
- Shine a light on a universal issue that affects our seniors daily: access to healthcare;
- Develop leadership among seniors and youth to advocate for language justice in the healthcare system.
Here are some suggested amounts you can give:
- $15/month will help sustain our drop-in hours. To be a monthly sustainer, click here.
- $30 will provide buns and refreshments for a seniors’ healthcare workshop.
- $50 will support a senior to apply for social housing.
- $100 will ensure a senior can attend a doctor’s appointment with proper interpretation support.
- $200 will sustain a youth-led intergenerational event.
- $500 will allow us to develop a campaign strategy with seniors to make healthcare fully accessible.
Your donations matter because non-profits are always accountable to the priorities of their funders. When we apply for a grant, we must meet the requirements set forth by the funder and actualize their priorities. Funder priorities and community needs do not always align. While the priorities of our funders can change from year to year, we know that there are core services and programs that our community needs.
We strive to raise a good portion of our annual budget from community members like you, who care about Chinatown and its low-income residents. This allows us to be accountable to our most important stakeholders - our seniors and youth - and gives us the stability to focus on what the community truly needs. We are now reaching out to our community again, and asking you to help us continue to grow!
If you’re interested in getting involved in our Language Access to Healthcare Campaign, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yarrow’s ultimate vision is a thriving, equitable, and intergenerational community in Chinatown.
We recognize that our community’s service needs come from systemic inequality. While it has been long identified that racialized people and people who do not speak English as their first language face more barriers in accessing vital services and community connection, the barriers remain in place. We recognize therefore that providing interpretation and services is not the answer to our community’s challenges; long-term inequalities require long-term solutions. For this, Yarrow will need your continued support.
Access to healthcare is a human right. Language justice is racial justice.
HighlightsSee all activity318
Delete media item?
Delete this item from the media gallery? It will also be deleted from any related story update.
Set as ?
The campaign video will appear in social media and email.
The campaign cover picture will appear in social media and email.
The will appear at the top of your campaign page and in social media and email.
It will be removed from the top of your campaign and won't be used as default in social media and email. The will remain in the media gallery.
Add to a Facebook Page tab
You can add to a tab on any Facebook Page which you manage.
Please note that as of Nov 2017, only Pages with 2,000+ fans are able to install custom tabs.
How to remove a Page tab It looks like you don't have a Facebook Page yet. How to create a Facebook Page It looks like you don't have a Facebook account linked. Click here to edit your account settings
Share a link
Delete this story update?
Any pictures or videos will remain in the campaign's media gallery.
Thank you. We take reports like yours very seriously. Our goal is to keep the community safe.
Please know that we may contact you for more information, but that we won't notify you personally of our decision. If the campaign remains available within a few days, it's likely that we determined it not to be in violation of our policies.
Thank you. We've already received your previous report. If the campaign remains available within a few days, it's likely that we determined it not to be in violation of our policies.
Tell us about the problem. Please fill in both fields below.
Record a video
Upload a video
Nothing grabs attention for your cause like a personal video. Take a minute or two to record one now. Record a short video message of support. Or upload one from your device. You can preview or redo your video before you post it.
Nothing grabs attention for your cause like a personal video. Upload a short video message of support. Upload a short video message of support. Or record one right now.
- Most effective video length: about a minute.
- Maximum length: 5 min.
- You can preview or redo your video before you post it.
Heads up! The existing video will be replaced.
Email your friends
Join our team
Tell people why our cause matters to you. Your personal message will encourage others to help. Easy, effective, optional.
Say it in video
Short personal videos by supporters like you are incredibly powerful. Record one right now and you'll help us raise more money. Easy, optional, effective.
Add a personal goal
Set a personal fundraising goal. You'll encourage more contributions if you do. And rest easy. There's no obligation to achieve your goal or bad consequences if you don't. Easy, optional, effective.
We have a video!
We'd love to show you our campaign video. Want to take a look?
, you're already on the team.