Campaign extended! Our deadline has passed but you can still help.
Help With Macie's Cancer Expenses
$290 raised
6% of $5k goal
5 contributors
5 Years running
Macie will be in the hospital for the better part of the next 3 weeks. Being inpatient carries it's own set of financial struggles in many aspects. I have deleted this a couple of times because it is so hard for me to ask for help.
Here is Macie’s diagnosis story from February 25, 2013

On Monday morning Macie woke with her leg hurting really bad. She had been having leg pain for a while, but only when it was chore time or bed time. I chalked it up to avoidance and sometimes growing pains because I would rub it and it would feel better. That morning it hurt bad enough that unknowingly to me, she took my cell phone and called her doctor's office and told them she needed to see the doctor because her leg was hurting. I found this out later that day. While doing P.E. at school she fell on her leg and was screaming that it hurt. Her teacher and the office thought she was being dramatic and told her she was not going to call home and to go back to class. After school she was complaining more than normal and when I told her I would take her to the doctor, she asked when and when I said in a little bit, she ran to get her snow clothes so she could go sledding. After her extended drama of the day, I told her to get in the car first and we would go to the doctor's. I told her that if the doctor said she was fine, she could not use her leg hurting as an excuse anymore. At the doctor's she was climbing all over the table and squirming around. The doctor was almost convinced that she was faking, but her instinct told her to x-ray her leg just in case. She told us that 1 in a million there wouldn't be anything there, but to be on the safe side she wanted to check. They took several pictures and then a short time later she came in the room and said there was definitely something (abnormal) (a word I have come to HATE) on her pictures. She took us back and showed us what her concern was. We went back to wait in the room while she called the radiologist. A short time later she came in and the whole aura of the room became very dense. She looked at us and said she had to give us the "worst case scenario". She told us that there might be a neoplasm. I had no idea what she was talking about. She got real quiet and looked right in my eyes and said, "cancer". The whole room turned numb. I think the floor disappeared at some point. She went out and called Primary Children's Hospital and spoke with their chief pediatric orthopedic oncologist. He said to get her up there ASAP. We had our 2 year old son with us, so we took him home and rushed up there. It is about 30 minutes away, but it felt like 30 hours. The whole way there I kept telling myself to wake up, but I wasn't sleeping :( The hospital took their own set of x-rays and a short time later the doctor came and pulled us out of the room and said she was very concerned about what she was seeing and that she was admitting Macie. That night she received the first IV of her life (which she HATED) in her left hand. That night we saw about 10 doctors that night. Mind you, we were admitted around midnight. The next morning the director of the Huntsman Institute came to see us. He said he suspected Osteosarcoma. He said he was going to do and MRI, CT Scan and then surgery, THAT DAY!!! Just yesterday she was at school and doing great and now she's having surgery??? The MRI came back very definite. They told us that they still needed to do a CT scan to see if her lungs were clear. Apparently if it spreads to the lungs that is very bad. She went into the operating room still sedated from her MRI. I had words with the surgeon outside of the O.R. and kind of threatened him to take care of my most prized possession lol, (I was kinda freaking out). We went back to her room to wait and quickly received a phone call from the O.R. that her lungs were clear!!! The doctor was so excited :D A short time later he came into the room and looked very glum. He told us that our baby for sure had Osteosarcanoma of her left distal femur and that she had fractured the bone that day. How in the world was she still walking??? He said the femur was affected from the hip to the knee and that she had a soft tissue tumor attached
Activity highlights See all9
Follow this campaign to receive updates by email.

People just like you

People just like you have raised $130,000,000+ for causes they and their friends care about.

Start your own campaign
Recent contributions