Approaching Local Media
One of the key steps to promote your FundRazr campaign is to reach your local media.
Today, local media needs stories on a daily basis. Journalists are looking for breaking news and stories on social media that would be interesting to their audience because most of their audience is local, and local news helps them sell newspapers and keep TV news viewers engaged in their broadcast.
Here are some important things you should keep in mind while reaching them
When approaching local media, there are three key details you must include in your message.
Information to Provide
(1) Introduction. Write few words about yourself, why you are writing an email. It always helps to make a connection.
(2) Your fundraising story. Make sure you provide the key details to your fundraising campaign, as the media is always looking for newsworthy and compelling stories.
You can use the following questions as a starting point:
- Who are you raising money for? (yourself, friend, family member, organization)
- Why are you raising money via FundRazr?
- Example: To ease financial burden for a friend during a difficult time due to an accident, medical condition, loss of a friend family member
- What the money will be used for?
- Example: Money will be used to pay rent while my friend is unable to work
- When do you need the money by?
- Add a deadline to your campaign to make it easy
- How will the money raised improve your situation or cause?
- Example: The money raised will help build a school for Kenyan orphans.
(3) A link to your FundRazr page. Your FundRazr campaign provides a reporter with a verification of your story, a visual on your fundraising efforts, and a way for readers/viewers to contribute to your campaign.
Who to Reach out to
- Talk show hosts
How to Make a Connection
Most media have a “Contact” section on their website, with a list of emails and phone numbers or forms for news to fill in.
Many local news stations, journalists actively use social networks such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. Connect via social media, establish personal relationships with reporters when the opportunity arises.
Jeff Mitchell got his story covered by ABC News: http://goo.gl/XrhRv.
See his campaign: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/aTXb7