Your share could raise $30
Before you go, did you know that simply by sharing this campaign, you could help it raise $30? It's an effective way to support the cause.No thanks
- Add on tab
- Pin it
- Contact campaign
Citizen-Powered Media hasn't added a story.
Help us get this critical film in front of a much wider audience.
The GrowthBusters documentary held its world premiere in front of a standing-room-only audience on November 3, 2011. On its ten year anniversary, we made the film free. Now, we ask your help in our continuing efforts to alert the world to limits to growth and inspire action. Your support can help us get the film into universities and libraries, support the ongoing GrowthBusters podcast, the GrowthBusters Campus Tour, and the GrowthBusters online community.
The film is now available for viewing free. See it here.
We've made this film easy to share, so
- Educators can share with classes
- Activists can share with policymakers and journalists
- Other NGOs, clubs and discussion groups can easily host screenings
- Pundits, researchers and journalists can find and easily view
- Anyone can discover it during a YouTube search
Now, please help us get the leftover DVDs onto library shelves around the world. As thanks for your donation we'll send you a batch of DVDs you can donate to your local library. There are other thank you gifts, too. So please pitch in. We have a to-do list that needs your financial support. Thank you.
“GrowthBusters is astounding. This film nails a highly sensitive, controversial, important point with humility, charm and humor.”
– Ozzie Zehner, Author of Green Illusions
and Co-Producer of
Planet of the Humans
“The quintessential David vs. Goliath story”
From Las Vegas to Atlanta, Mexico City to Mumbai, the White House to the Vatican, GrowthBusters takes us on a whirlwind tour of growth mania. It’s Wild Kingdom with a twist: the cameras are turned on humanity as our own survival skills are examined.
GrowthBusters: Hooked on Growth explores our obsession with urban and economic growth, and our reluctance to address overpopulation issues head-on. This documentary holds up a mirror, encouraging us to examine the beliefs and behaviors we must leave behind – and the values we need to embrace – so our children can survive and thrive.
“Entertaining, thought-provoking, and sure to spark spirited discussion, this is highly recommended.”
– Video Librarian in a 2012 review
Every bit as relevant as it was in 2011, and more desperately needed today, GrowthBusters puts our culture of growth under a microscope and recommends the major culture shift on which our children’s future depends.
“If you thought getting our political leaders past denial on climate change was tough, then wait until you try the end of growth! That's why this film is so important, we have to build a broad base of understanding that infinite growth on a finite planet is not just a bad idea, it’s just not possible. So the sooner we get ready for what's coming the better off we'll be.”
– Paul Gilding, former Executive
Director of Greenpeace International
Author of The Great Disruption
You can’t help but notice the increasing frequency of alarming reports about:
- melting glaciers and ice cover
- rising sea levels
- unprecedented heat waves
- climate disruption tipping points
- storms with increasing frequency and intensity
- forest fires with increasing frequency and intensity
- species extinction
- reservoir and aquifer levels dropping
This overwhelming evidence we’ve outgrown the planet is escalating fast.
“If you are someone who follows these issues, this is a film you will want to see. You can say, ‘This is what I’ve been talking about.’ Thank you, Dave Gardner, for framing this discussion. If growth and overpopulation aren’t something you consider a problem, this is for you, too. GrowthBusters lays out the challenges and starts the discussion on solutions – something about which we all should be concerned.”
– Maria Fotopoulos, in a 2011 review of GrowthBusters.
We’ve been busy driving human civilization off a cliff, and this culture shift is the only survivable course correction. But we’re running out of time. We need to slam on the brakes. Getting this film in front of more policymakers, journalists, commentators and pundits can help. We are in overshoot, and that needs to be common knowledge. If we can accomplish this, then it’s possible the necessary public project to turn our backs on perpetual growth and to pursue economic and population contraction can get underway.
HOW WE'RE USING CONTRIBUTIONS:
- YouTube Ads to increase views
- Other outreach to attract viewers
- Producing the GrowthBusters podcast
- Creating and delivering presentations at conferences, on college campuses and to church and other groups
- Making guest appearances on news programs, talk radio, podcasts, TV programs and documentaries
- Producing new short films for YouTube
- Producing occasional Conversation Earth radio/podcast specials
- FINALLY creating a music video for the fantastic GrowthBusters movie theme!
Please make a contribution now, and please share/recommend this campaign to your networks.
Your share is worth as much as your contribution. There are social media icons near the top of this page to make it easy.
A FEW OF THE RENOWNED EXPERTS WHO APPEAR IN GROWTHBUSTERS
HighlightsSee all activity85
A FEW OF THE RENOWNED EXPERTS WHO APPEAR IN GROWTHBUSTERS:
- Al Bartlett, the late physics professor who delivered his famous Exponential Growth lecture around the world
- Paul Ehrlich, lifelong Stanford University Biologist, ardent sustainability advocate, and author of dozens of books including The Population Bomb
- William Rees, co-originator of ecological footprint analysis
- Dennis Meadows, leader of The Limits to Growth research team at MIT
- Bill McKibben, environmental journalist and co-founder of 350.org
- Juliet Schor, author of Plenitude, and The Overworked American
- Eben Fodor, community planning consultant and author of Better, Not Bigger
- Carolyne Stayton, Co-Director of Transition US
- Complete list here
- Best Film or Miniseries, Global Media Awards, Population Institute
- Cinema Verité Award, Cinema Verde Environmental Film & Arts Festival (Florida)
- Official Selection, SOHO International Film Festival (New York City)
- Best Colorado Feature, Indie Spirit Film Festival (Colorado)
- Nominated Best Feature Film and Best Science Communication Film, Reel Earth Film Festival (New Zealand)
- Official Selection, Cosmic Cine Festival (Germany)
- Official Selection, Awareness Film Festival (Los Angeles)
- Official Selection, Urban Nomads Film Festival (Taiwan)
- Official Selection, International Freethought Film Festival (Denver)
- Official Selection, World Community Film Festival (British Columbia)
- Official Selection, Film for Change Film Festival (Cape Town)
- Official Selection, Denver Indie Fest
- Resilience: GrowthBusters the movie
- WriteOn: GrowthBusters Explores Limits to Growth
- IBI Watch: The Environmental Elephant in the Room
- Transition Voice: Who You Gonna Call?
- Sustainability: Science, Practice & Policy: So You Say You Wanna Grow, Buster?
- New Internationalist: Growth is Not the Solution
- MacroBusiness: Are We Hooked on Population Growth?
- LadyVerd.com: Decrecimiento o Destrucción
- Peak Moment TV: Review of Hooked on Growth Documentary from GrowthBusters
- Video Librarian: Highly Recommended
Delete media item?
Delete this item from the media gallery? It will also be deleted from any related story update.
Set as ?
The campaign video will appear in social media and email.
The campaign cover picture will appear in social media and email.
The will appear at the top of your campaign page and in social media and email.
It will be removed from the top of your campaign and won't be used as default in social media and email. The will remain in the media gallery.
Add to a Facebook Page tab
You can add to a tab on any Facebook Page which you manage.
Please note that as of Nov 2017, only Pages with 2,000+ fans are able to install custom tabs.
How to remove a Page tab It looks like you don't have a Facebook Page yet. How to create a Facebook Page It looks like you don't have a Facebook account linked. Click here to edit your account settings
Share a link
Delete this story update?
Any pictures or videos will remain in the campaign's media gallery.
Thank you. We take reports like yours very seriously. Our goal is to keep the community safe.
Please know that we may contact you for more information, but that we won't notify you personally of our decision. If the campaign remains available within a few days, it's likely that we determined it not to be in violation of our policies.
Thank you. We've already received your previous report. If the campaign remains available within a few days, it's likely that we determined it not to be in violation of our policies.
Tell us about the problem. Please fill in both fields below.
Record a video
Upload a video
Nothing grabs attention for your cause like a personal video. Take a minute or two to record one now. Record a short video message of support. Or upload one from your device. You can preview or redo your video before you post it.
Nothing grabs attention for your cause like a personal video. Upload a short video message of support. Upload a short video message of support. Or record one right now.
- Most effective video length: about a minute.
- Maximum length: 5 min.
- You can preview or redo your video before you post it.
Heads up! The existing video will be replaced.
Email your friends
Join our team
Tell people why our cause matters to you. Your personal message will encourage others to help. Easy, effective, optional.
Say it in video
Short personal videos by supporters like you are incredibly powerful. Record one right now and you'll help us raise more money. Easy, optional, effective.
Add a personal goal
Set a personal fundraising goal. You'll encourage more contributions if you do. And rest easy. There's no obligation to achieve your goal or bad consequences if you don't. Easy, optional, effective.
We have a video!
We'd love to show you our campaign video. Want to take a look?
, you're already on the team.